Welcome to your virtual designer... Sometimes, when people ask me what I think about a design project they've tackled on their own, I am left thinking, "Oh, I wish you would have asked me before you spent the money/time on that." Sometimes, the advice is as simple as, "two inches to the left" or "add a contrast color" or "one shade darker" or "no, that chair is way too big for your space" and the design goes from "nice" to "wow!" So, please, please ask me BEFORE you pick a paint color, hang a curtain, or select a flooring.

This is how it works: I am open to any and all design related questions. Just post your question on this blog or email it to me at yabdesign2000@yahoo.com. You can also send me a picture of the item or space for which you need advice. Then I will post your question and answer for others to see and reference. I believe so much in preventing design disasters that I would even make Skype appointments if you have a bigger design dilemma you want to run by me.

So, tell your friends and family and send in your questions and I will address them one by one. I'm looking forward to working with you!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tip of the Day - Lighting 3 - Mood lighting - Candles


There are many ways to create mood lighting. Today I want to address candles. Yeah!

What a beautiful way to set the mood for your space. They come in all shapes, sizes and scents. Just dim the lights, light up your candle/s of preference and enjoy the soft, alluring scent and the mesmerizing glow. Instantly feel your heartbeat slow to a calm rhythmic thump and your muscles take a relaxing breath...

Unless you have small kids. In which case, you would not dare introduce such a destructive idea to curious faces... So, the question is how to get that same effect without fire. While not entirely as magical as real candles, there are some pretty descent options out there that will allow you to practice "safety first" while still feeling somewhat connected to the simple pleasures of the grown-up world. Check out battery operated, flameless candles. Below are a few places to look for these candles. Personally, I prefer the ones that hide the flame inside rather than the ones that show it on top of the candle. I just think they look more realistic. I also prefer bunching candles of all one color - in particular, all white, all off-white or all silver-gray. And as far as the scent, you might want to go with the Febreeze option.

Flameless candles can run anywhere from $10-$20+ each, so you will be able to find something that fits your budget. Google: Images, "flameless candles", to see the wide variety that exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment