Welcome to your virtual designer... Sometimes, when people ask me what I think about a design project they've tackled on their own, I am left thinking, "Oh, I wish you would have asked me before you spent the money/time on that." Sometimes, the advice is as simple as, "two inches to the left" or "add a contrast color" or "one shade darker" or "no, that chair is way too big for your space" and the design goes from "nice" to "wow!" So, please, please ask me BEFORE you pick a paint color, hang a curtain, or select a flooring.

This is how it works: I am open to any and all design related questions. Just post your question on this blog or email it to me at yabdesign2000@yahoo.com. You can also send me a picture of the item or space for which you need advice. Then I will post your question and answer for others to see and reference. I believe so much in preventing design disasters that I would even make Skype appointments if you have a bigger design dilemma you want to run by me.

So, tell your friends and family and send in your questions and I will address them one by one. I'm looking forward to working with you!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tip of the Day - Paint 1 - Test your color


When picking a paint color/s, I strongly advise that, once you have narrowed your selections down to 2 or 3, you purchase the little 1/2 or 1/4 pint samples. That way you can paint a section of the wall and see what the color will look like in that space and with the light specific to that space. You will also be able to see the paint in the morning light, the afternoon light and the evening light - which are all different! Glidden has a wonderful paint tester line that they offer (http://www.glidden.com/products/paint-testers.do) Their sample paint comes in a container with it's own paint brush and enough paint to cover 3 square feet of space. If you are not able to purchase a sample for testing, then make sure you have your paint swatch and tape it to the wall - or get 4or 5 swatches of the same color, take them home and tape them all together to give you a larger sample to look at. Then, look at the swatch on the wall at different times of the day to get a feel for what it will actually look like. Also, you can lift the swatch above your head, with the color of interest facing the ground and that will give you an idea of the darkest shade it will go in that space. You will be amazed at how dark the color gets and even how it seems to change colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment